The Great Ride South Africa
by Henry Peacock
The Great Ride is a seven day, fully supported cycling tour and adventure holiday travelling along the breathtakingly beautiful Route 62 in the Western Cape, South Africa [20-26 October 2012].
Perfect Riding On Offer
Suitable for all levels of touring and road cyclists, the experience starts in the Klein Karoo town of Oudtshoorn and meanders towards the heart of the Cape Winelands, finishing in Wellington. With unbelievable landscapes this ride travels through some of the most stunning parts of South Africa. With the distances each day the participants can truly enjoy the landscape.
Serious Climbs On Offer
This event is being organised by Inspire Sport & Entertainment who have over twenty-five years experience in producing large scale sporting events. From Concept to production whilst developing commercial value in sport and rights to entertainment.
The objectives of creating a mass participation cycling tour along Route 62 are as follows:
- Enabling cycling enthusiasts of all abilities the opportunity to tour this beautiful part of the Western Cape in a safe and fully supported road bike tour group on tarmac roads.
- Create annual multi-stage mass participation road cycling events across South Africa event with the intention of growing to thousands of participants annually (similar to Australia’s Great Victorian Bike Ride).
- Increase the awareness of the natural and cultural attractions in the region to both local and international tourists.
- Develop long-term skills development and job opportunities in rural communities and initiate economic benefits to local regions.
- Legacy created in each community – focused on sports development, recreation and cultural initiatives.
The Stages for each day are outlined below:
1. Oudtshorn - Calitzdorp 59.12 km Ascent: 196m
2. Calitzdorp - Ladismith 50.49km Ascent: 824m
3. Ladismith - Barrydale 89.51km Ascent: 540m
4. Barrydale - Montagu 50.67km Ascent: 390m
5. Montagu - Worcester 75.14km Ascent: 338m
6. Worcester - Wellington 74.47km Ascent: 597m
Total Distance: 399.40km
Total Ascent: 2,885m
The ride includes on-road support, luggage transport, security and six camping villages including meals, facilities, entertainment, celebrity participation and an immersion into the local culture, cuisine and all the tourist attractions the area has to offer. There will be 500 particpants taking part.
The Ride Follows Route 62
For more information on The Great Ride Click Here>>>
You May Also Like...
Leave A Comment
Please login to leave a comment