Mille Pennines 1000
07/07/2017 - Bispham, Lancashire - Audax
Weeks to go until event: less than 16 weeks
The Mille Pennines 1000 is a 1002 km cycling event sanctioned by Audax UK (AUK), taking place over the weekend of 01 - 07 July 2017.
Starting and finishing in the town of Bispham, Lancashire, the event is a randonnee, not a race! Those taking part will have a maximum of 75-hours to complete the challenging 1002 km route.
Randonnees are traditionally non-competitive/non-commercial long-distance cycling events where the emphasis is on completing the route and distance within the time limit.
The Mille Pennines 1000 km Audax, long-distance cycling event will be held over the weekend of 07 - 10 July 2017. Starting and finishing in the town of Bispham, Lancashire (just north of the seaside resort of Blackpool), and with an estimated 13500 metres of ascent, the Mille Pennines 1000 is not the longest or toughest randonnee in the Audax calendar, but it will certainly rank among the most challenging and probably one of the most memorable!
The Pennines offer many opportunities for excellent cycling. The landscape is spectacular, rugged and full of interest. All this makes for wonderful cycling country and the Mille Pennines 1000 passes through 6 counties, including an incursion into southern Scotland, as it circles many of the national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty whilst traversing the length and breadth of the Pennines.
From coast to coast, up hill or down dale, from the shores of Lake Windermere to the shores of Kielder Water, the Mille Pennines 1000 offers long-distance cyclists the opportunity to ride some of the most breathtaking and spectacular scenery of the Pennine chain all in one wekeend!
How hilly is it?
The Mille Penniens 1000 has about 13500 metres of climbing spread over 1002 km, equal to about 13.47 metres of climbing per kilometre, so is awarded 13.5 points for the Audax Altitude Award competition!
Entry fee: £55 (£57.50 when entering online through paypal on the AUK website). n.b. non-members of AUK will need to add £2 to include temporary membership for 3rd party insurance purposes. Entry fees are non-refundable!
Entry fee includes:
- Brevet card with detailed route-sheet giving precise instructions
- Validation with Audax UK (AUK) and the Audax Club Parisien (ACP) for successful riders
- Breakfast before the start (typically cereal/toast, tea/coffee/juice etc)
- Bag transportation from Bispham to the central control at Hawes and back
- Food & drink at 5 of the controls
- Sleeping facilities at the Hawes control at 282 km; 605 km & 876 km)
- Refreshments at the finish (typically sandwiches & cakes)
- 3rd party insurance for UK based riders
- Any photographs taken by the organiser/helpers during the event
- Commemorative T-shirt & water-bottle
Click on "Entry Details" above to enter!